Saturday, October 14, 2006

To Be Strong

An Abused Women's Affirmation

I celebrate my courage. I was alone, but now I am not alone. I was victimized, but I am no longer a victim.

I name the violence in my life--and declare it wrong. I name that I need help, and that I am willing to give help.

Nothing I do provokes the violence. Nothing about me causes the violence. Nothing gives one person the right to abuse another person. Abusers can change themselves, but I cannot change them.

Nothing I can do will change my past. Everything I do changes my future.

I have protected myself and my children. Resistance to violence, defending myself or my children, is not abuse.

I believe myself; I believe my sisters. I can ask support; I can give support. I can change myself; I can change the world.

My being here helps others. I am not here to judge my sisters, but to support their healing. I will take the risk to trust other women here. Every time a sister resists, she creates a space for resistance around her.

I am here in solidarity with my sisters of all persuasions, all colors, all orientations, and all faiths to say NO ! to violence. We will not be divided by our diversity--we will be strengthened by it.
In the words of Alice Walker, "I am the woman offering two flowers whose roots are twin. Justice and Hope. Let us begin."

2 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

I love this affirmation, thank you for sharing it. take care from one survivor to another survivor.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Thanks for your visit Holly. Its been a while.

My appendix has not really been good to me. Had some complications, but now back on my feet.

I have been practicing affirmations for the last month or so. I start my morning, and end my day with my list. I find it empowering and helpful in making each day feel special.

I believe every woman should try it when they feel down, it has really helped me in the tougher days of my life.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home